Special Students

Many interested people contact the department about taking classes in our department. If you are not a registered UW student you must follow the steps to become a special student.

Interested High School Students who want to take language classes in our department will need to complete a placement test. In some cases you may need to be admitted as a special student before being able to take the placement test. All placement tests are given on campus in Van Hise Hall.

Interested Senior Guest Auditors who want to enroll in any class first need to obtain the permission of the faculty member. Once you are admitted as a special student and receive your student ID please bring an authorization form to Rachel Weiss (1244 Van Hise Hall) along with the faculty member’s signature.

For all other Special Student types please review information.