The Department of Asian Languages and Cultures requires that students with any prior knowledge of the languages taught in our department (e.g. Chinese, Japanese and Korean), and who plan to enroll in our language classes, take a placement test before enrolling in a language course.
Prior Experience in an Asian Language
If you are a student with prior experience in an Asian language (e.g., self-taught, learned in elementary, middle or high school, or learned from family, relatives or friends, etc.), and seek advise about foreign language placement, or continuing with the language of your heritage please fill out this questionnaire in order to receive appropriate advising or guidance.
Our department administers a computer based Chinese placement test throughout the year. This test will be given on campus only. Please contact Rachel Weiss (firstname.lastname@example.org) to register. When emailing please provide your campus ID. For further information on the Chinese placement test, please click here.
- Tuesday, August 28, 2018 (1:00-4:00 pm, 250 Van Hise Hall)
- Thursday, August 30, 2018 (9:30 am - 12:30 pm, 250 Van Hise Hall)
- Tuesday, September 4, 2018 (9:30 am - 12:30 pm, 250 Van Hise Hall)
- Tuesday, September 4, 2018 (2:00-5:00 pm, 250 Van Hise Hall)
- Thursday, September 6, 2018 (9:30 am - 12:30 pm, 250 Van Hise Hall)
- Thursday, September 6, 2018 (2:00-5:00 pm, 250 Van Hise Hall)
The Japanese program administers placement test throughout summer and during the fall and spring semesters. The test will be given on campus or online (via Skype). Please contact Rachel Weiss to register. When emailing please provide your campus ID. For further information on the Japanese placement test, please read our FAQs.
Summer 2018 placement test dates and times:
- August 27 (M) 11:30-12:00
- August 28 (T) 1:00-1:30, 1:30-2:00, 2:00-2:30
- August 31 (F) 9:00-9:30,10:30-11:00
- September 4 (T) 1:00-1:30, 1:30-2:00, 2:30-3:00
The placement test will be an oral interview (20-25 minutes) and a short writing in Korean (25-30 minutes). To schedule your placement test, contact Prof. Byung-jin Lim <email@example.com>, head of the Korean Language Program. Please provide your past Korean language experience.
For questions regarding the placement into other languages offered in the department. Please fill out the Background Questionnare.