Advising for Graduate Students

ALC Advising Forms for Faculty and Advisee

The advising form templates for Graduate Students in the Department of Asian Languages and Cultures can be downloaded for use: MA / for PhD.

The form should be completed jointly by the student and their co-advisors every semester, by considering

1) what needs to be accomplished in the next several semesters,

2) whether or not the goal for each semester has been met, and

3) whether or not the plans for the following semesters need to be adjusted and how.

  • The department will ask advisor(s) to submit a PDF copy of the updated version of the forms every semester — likely in conjunction with TA/PA assignment survey to be conducted each semester and internal funding competition (fellowship, travel support, etc.).
  • Please make sure to keep updating the forms.
  • These templates are designed in a way to accommodate all programs and tracks administered by the department, but each program/track or each set of advisors/advisee can add any additional details that you think would be helpful for the purpose of clarification of goals and expectations.

ALC Graduate Faculty and Co-Advisor Policy

Faculty Advisors

Each student will be assigned a faculty advisor and co-advisor in their graduate program. Your faculty advisors will be a key resource of guidance for your academic development. Further definition can be found here:

Advising & Mentoring

Advising relationships are a central part of the academy, important to both the experience and development of students and faculty members alike. All incoming M.A. and Ph.D. students are advised by an assigned faculty member and a co-advisor upon being admitted to an ALC program.

The advisor counsels the student on course selection as well as other academic aspects of the individual’s program and will be chair of the M.A. examination committee, the Ph.D. preliminary examination committee, and the dissertation committee. The co-advisor supports the advisor in these roles and also usually serves on these committees. Additionally, the co-advisor may play a more prominent role when the primary advisor is on sabbatical or otherwise unavailable.

Each graduate student will complete their advising forms in conversation with their advisor, and their co-advisor should be periodically updated with the latest version of the advising form. Students should maintain regular contact with their advisor about progress, coursework, and planning, and their co-advisor should be informed of relevant developments each Academic Year. Meetings with the advisor should occur at least once a semester, but more frequent meetings are strongly encouraged.

Changing Advisors

A graduate student may change their advisor or co-advisor at any time by securing the approval of a new graduate advisor or co-advisor. It is important that the students’ academic interests and their advisors’ specializations align well with each other. As such, if you realize that your interest has shifted to a different direction and decided that you prefer working with a different advisor, discuss this with your prospective advisor to seek the change. Once your new advisor or co-advisor agrees to the change, you must also inform your current advisor or co-advisor about the change. This notification can be conveyed through a brief email.

If you initiate a change of advisor, you must notify your Graduate Program Coordinator and provide a signed copy of the Graduate Student Advisor Change form.

The advisor-student relationship is one of mutual agreement. Your advisor may become unavailable or may suggest that your interest may be better served by a different advisor. If your advisor suggests that you consider changing an advisor, the Graduate Program Coordinator and the Director of Graduate Studies will work with you to find a new advisor and/or co-advisor in ALC.

Every graduate student must have an advisor, or else they may be suspended from graduate study at UW-Madison by the Graduate School. Be sure to follow procedures to re-select a new advisor prior to finalizing the termination of your current advising relationship. You can confirm that the name of your advisor has been updated in the official record by looking in your Student Center on MyUW ( under “Academic Progress” and then “Advisors.”

Download Advisor Change Form