ALC invites active majors to apply to serve as council members for an academic year. These undergraduates help to build community among our student body. They are also available for prospective students who are interested to know more about studying Asian Studies at UW-Madison. Current ALC students should feel free to reach out to the Undergraduate Council to suggest ideas for professional development and community engagement via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peer Mentor Application 2021-23
The Undergraduate program in the Department of Asian Languages & Cultures is looking for current Asian Languages & Cultures, Chinese, and Japanese majors and certificate students to volunteer to serve as Peer Mentors on the Undergraduate Council. Peer Mentors will serve in a variety of supporting roles to the department and undergraduate advisor.
1. Meet 2x/month to discuss ways to build rapport among the growing Asian Studies students, develop communications strategies, and reviewing clarity of program information.
2. Be available to prospective and current students, serving as someone they can turn to for specific questions about what it’s like to be an ALC student at UW-Madison, share information about specific courses, tips on finding campus resources, etc.
3. Serve as co-organizers of the annual spring event Asian Studies Symposium by suggesting performances, organization of event, and building student participation and attendance.
– Declared in an ALC program (ALC, Chinese, or Japanese certificate or major)
– Able to serve as a Peer Mentor for one academic year (i.e. graduating no earlier than May 2022)
Peer Mentors must be willing to:
• Attend (virtually or in-person) at least 1 ALC event a semester, but more are encouraged!
• Meet (or communicate by email) with prospective high school and/or transfer students.
• Answer emails from current/prospective students in a professional and timely manner.
Benefits to being a Peer Mentor are:
• Enhancing your resume and reference list
• Networking and collaborating with fellow members of the ALC department
• Developing and/or improving your communication and leadership skills
If you are interested, please apply by Application deadline April 19, 2021.
Questions? Please contact Rachel Weiss at email@example.com